Experience being a Farmer for the Day
Daily (depending on Jon and Lynne’s schedule)
SINGLE ADULT £180, TWO ADULTS £250
You’ll rise with the dawn chorus to start at 6.30am, ready
for the first milking session of the day. Then it’s feeding,
watering and bedding up the animals. Depending on
the time of year that may be cows, goats, calves or, in
spring, kids and lambs. All the animals also enjoy a bit of
company – the goats are particularly playful and the cows
like nothing better than a good grooming.
After a hearty farmhouse breakfast, the day may take you
in any direction (as all farmers know!) – you could find
yourself up to your elbows delivering the newest arrivals
at the farm, helping to move herds around the estate or
getting involved in land management.
There’ll be plenty of opportunities to try your hand at
milking in the parlour, and the day finishes at 6pm,
following the afternoon milking of the friendly purebred
Jersey herd. By the end of the day you’ll certainly know
what Devon farm life feels like.
FARMER FOR THE DAY EXPERIENCE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- No dogs allowed on the farm experience
- Farming is an all-weather activity and often a bit mucky so appropriate clothing, particularly sturdy footwear is important. Flip flops and summer dresses are unlikely to survive a farm experience day in good condition. Trousers, waterproofs and boots will probably fair better, though if you’re very lucky you may need a hat and some sunscreen. It’s always worth having the waterproofs
, as the weather can be inclement. however
- Please tell us if you have a medical condition the farm team need to be aware of, such as allergies or heart problems. That way they can be accommodated to the best of our
abilities,unless you’re allergic to cows or goats as they’re a rather integral part of the farm.
- Whilst younger children can observe the milking only those over the age of 16 are permitted to go into the pit of the parlour and actually operate the milking machinery with the cows.
- Only paying participants may join the milking experience.